Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The end of an era

I don't have long to write. I want only to express how much things have changed. I was sad when I saw how few book stores remain, sadder when I realized there is now only one store left where I can purchase music, CRUSHED when my independent radio station was purchased by ClearChannel--and now I see the few non-chain cinemas around here are going out of business too. Well, damn. No more browsing, no more talking to knowledgeable staff, no more listening to music that hasn't been marketed up my butt, no more beautiful old movie theaters with real butter on the popcorn. Everything now will be mega-corporation slick, carefully targeted yet lacking flavor. Yeah it's been coming for a long time but now it's here. Welcome to THIS world, whatever it is. Bleh.

4 comments:

  1. It's a bad patch that way, it's true, Maz.

    But will it be *forever*? I don't know. Nothing lasts for eternity. But the pruning of the biodiversity is disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...carefully targeted yet lacking flavor..." I think that sums it up. Everything is so bland now. I miss bookstores with readings and weekly events, and the horror of it is that most people don't even realize what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete